Silksworth Pit Wheel Refurbishment & Relocation
Sunderland City Council appointed BCE Northern Ltd to relocate a pit wheel originally located in Albany, to a new location in Silksworth.
The project works involved
- Dismantling of an existing public realm structure comprising a pit wheel and structural steel support framework.
- Uplifting and haulage of the wheel off site for refurbishment
- Disposal of the redundant steel frame from the site of the removed wheel
- All groundworks in relation to the new steel structure and surrounding hard landscaping works at the new wheel location
- Supply and erection of the new supporting steel structure
- Haulage of the refurbished wheel to a new location and lifting into place onto a new steel support structure by others.
Work was completed on time and on budget and to the satisfaction of STC and residents who thought it was vitally important that the Silksworth community got back this piece of heritage.